Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Television - Ed Burns, Now Wired Enough to Move On to Battles Beyond the Streets - NYTimes.com

a (sort of) hopeful argument for art, and for life...

Television - Ed Burns, Now Wired Enough to Move On to Battles Beyond the Streets - NYTimes.com

Mr. Burns said he was surprised by all the attention “The Wire” received from policymakers who were piqued by the show’s gritty civics lessons — the very sort of people, he said, who more or less ignored him when he worked in the public sector.

“The irony is that you have to be somebody before anybody listens to you,” he said. “I wasn’t an expert when I was an expert, and now that I’m not an expert, I’m an expert. It’s kind of curious.”
...

He considered the often bleak worldview of “The Wire,” with its overarching theme that no matter what a person does, it will never be enough to stop the city from grinding over him. “I’m not a fatalist,” he said. “I’m very optimistic. In America, before we notice things, things have to become bad.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home